My Favorite Podcasts
Do you know what a podcast is? That may sound like a silly question but a year ago I was only loosely familiar with them conceptually. And I am a pretty technologically astute guy!
A podcast is essentially a radio audio (though there are videos too) program pre-recorded and downloadable from a variety of services. If you have a smartphone there is usually a podcast app built right in and connected to one of the various cloud-based services – you can listen on your computer too. You subscribe to the podcast (usually 100% free) and they are automatically delivered to your device to listen to at you leisure. There are literally thousands of shows available about any topic you can think of and they release new episodes, on average, weekly.
As I mentioned I was not a podcast listener just over a year ago. Then I left my previous job and started my 4+ month sabbatical. During this time I would go out for a walk or run pretty much every day and sometimes for hours at a time. My longest was the day (and it was an exercise “rest” day) that I decided to go for a 12+ mile walk. With all of this time I needed something to listen to and didn’t always want music.
Also during my sabbatical I was going through a significant personal transformation. I was rediscovering who I was and figuring out who I wanted to be. I needed input. I needed inspiration. I needed different ways of looking at things. I guess I was pretty needy, huh?
This is when I started listening to podcasts.
As a leader it is important for us to continue learning and expanding our minds. The top choice for how to do this is reading but that isn’t always convenient. So podcasts are a great alternative. They are a good source for your recommended daily allowance of learning, perspective and inspiration. Finding a favorite podcast or two can be an amazing addition to your walk, your workout, your commute or even to replace your background music at work.
While I don’t listen to every episode of all of my subscribed podcasts I try to listen to a lot of them. I listen almost every day to some content. My goals for podcast listening are varied but they generally follow a pattern.
- To keep me motivated and energized when chasing my goals
- To help me grow my skills, chart my path & build my business
- To challenge my thinking and push me to think bigger
- To entertain me
- To keep improving my project management skills
- To learn more about health & fitness
While some podcasts fit into multiple categories I have bucketed each of my subscribed podcasts into just one bucket below. I wanted to share my list in case something here becomes valuable to you.
Keeping me motivated & energized
- The Daily Boost with Scott Smith
- Clarity on Fire by Rachel East and Kristen Walker
- Compete Every Day by Jake Thompson
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin
- Pick the Brain Podcast with Jeremy Fisher & Erin Falconer
Grow my skills, chart my path and build my business
- Beyond the To-do List by Erik Fisher
- Coaching for Leaders by Dave Stachowiak
- Happen to Your Career by Scott Anthony Barlow
- Read to Lead Podcast with Jeff Brown
- The Aworkening with Jeremy Fisher
- The Dream. Think. Do. Podcast with Mitch Matthews
- Focus 3 Podcast with Tim & Brian Kight
- The Learning Leader Show with Ryan Hawk
- Smart Passive Income with Pat Flynn
Challenge me to think bigger
- NPR’s Hidden Brain with Shanker Vedantam
- NPR’s How I Built This with Guy Raz
- Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations
- Akimbo by Seth Godin
- NPR’s TED Radio Hour with Guy Raz
To entertain me
- NPR’s Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me hosted by Peter Sagal
Improving my project management
- Projectified by Project Management Institute
- I have tried to find more here but I think this is an under-served category in the podcast world. Potential opportunity for me?
Health & fitness
- I have recently unsubscribed from everything I was listening to here as my journey has evolved. I need new recommendations if anybody knows any good options.
There you have it
Call to Action: find a podcast that you love. Give a listen to the ones I mentioned above or go searching for ones that resonate with you. Whatever your choice just give a podcast a try.
About Reflections on Leadership
Reflections on Leadership is my weekly article series reflecting on what it means to be a great leader. I hope that these thoughts can help you with your own leadership development journey.
My mission for Operation Melt is to help you melt away all of the obstacles to achieving your goals, not just your fitness goals. So, helping us all become better leaders is fully aligned with that mission. Maybe this will help achieve the Operation Melt vision…
To create a world where goals never die of loneliness.
Thank you for reading and please feel free to share your perspective on this topic, my Reflections on Leadership series or anything else via a share on social media or message me directly.
Join my email list to have weekly Operation Melt updates delivered to your inbox: https://OperationMelt.com/mail/